June 18, 2008

Here I go...

With all of the business that goes along with the end of the school year, summer workshops, and preparations for a six week trip to Uganda, I have yet again neglected to post a blog for some time.

Here is a quick (very quick) run-down on the situation in Uganda. It's not good.

Here is the briefly expanded version: The Government of Uganda (GoU) has been coordinating military action with Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and the UN. The LRA has made several attacks on villages outside of Uganda, is increasing its numbers, and is moving in small groups towards northern Uganda. The GoU has increased its military presence in the villages and towns and has sworn that the LRA will not make it into Uganda again.

For a couple of good summaries of events, check out these two Invisible Children posts:

Peace and Conflict Update #24: Re-arming, Re-igniting and Re-settling
Peace and Conflict Update: From the Ground #1

Now for the good news...I am off to Uganda! And this is what I am bringing:

I am packed and ready to go. I leave for New York today at about 4:00 p.m., and will spend a few days there with a good friend. On Saturday night, I head off to the great unknown.

I'll try to post a few photos from the big apple, and will blog again in Uganda as soon as I am able to. As I will be living outside of the city (Gulu), I will not have any regular access to e-mail or the internet. I will periodically check though when I am able to get to an internet cafe. I still have a bit of cleaning to do, and some final preparations to make, so I must say farewell for now!

Best,
Matt

1 comment:

Please remember this is a public forum. Your comments will be visible to all readers of this blog.