July 25, 2008

The Final Chapter

I only have about 15 minutes before the internet cafe closes, so (thank your lucky stars) this will be another short post.

As I finished my Pabo adventures this afternoon, I look forward to another four days of re-aquainting with the amazing people who have made the journey with me. All 23 of the IC teacher exchange teachers will be heading out for Murchison Falls tomorrow afternoon. We will safari on Sunday before heading to Kampala. On Monday, we will travel to Jinja where we will brave the wild Nile river (and the multitude of parasites that live within). On Tuesday, the group will travel back to Kampala to prepare for our final departure. A quick trip to the equator on Wednesday morning will finalize my glorious (though too short) stay in the wonderful country of Uganda. I really look forward to spending some time with the people that started this journey with me, and sharing all of our various stories from spending time apart at our various school sites.

Pabo was fantastic again this week. Things with Oola Charles went swimmingly, Trisha and Danielle kept my ego in check, and I spent some good time out of school with a few wonderful teachers. Today at lunch the teachers delivered a few speeches to wish us safe journeys, we shook many hands, had a few sodas, and did a lot of hugging. It is amazing how close you can become with some people in only a few short weeks. It was painful to say goodbye to many of my new friends. By the end of the four weeks, real relationships have developed, and there are many people I intend to keep in touch with. Maybe (sorry mom and dad) I will even get to see some of them again! When the treasurer of the PTA offered to pay me a salary, and a few teachers offered me a corner of their rooms, I must say I was tempted to stay. The routines, customs, and experiences in Pabo (and Uganda) have definately grown on me. But...I am also looking forward to getting home and sharing all my experiences with you, my friends.

I look forward to catching up with you soon. Apwoyo! (And to all of my Ugandan friends, Dei Dong Maber--your memories will keep me smiling.)


Yours,
Owat Matthew Michelin

(I'll tell you about the new name when I get back--Peace!)

1 comment:

  1. Matt,

    Glad to hear that things went well with Oola Charles (especially after the rough start).

    I hope the rest of your trip goes well. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it!

    ReplyDelete

Please remember this is a public forum. Your comments will be visible to all readers of this blog.