January 30, 2008

Trip Information

(For basic information and a map of Uganda, click here)

The information packet for my Ugandan adventure has arrived! Here is the information for all who are inquiring:

Itinerary

June 21: Depart from JFK Airport, New York
June 23: Arrive in Entebbe, Uganda
(yep, two days of flying!)
June 25: Arrive in Gulu Uganda
(yep, two days of travel!)
June 25-29: Orientation, Workshops...
(or, how to not say something stupid when in a new culture--ask me about "aanaq")
June 30-July 25: Team Teaching, Classroom Interactions
July 26: Murchison Falls
July 27: Safari outside Kampala
July 28: Rafting on the Nile
(And you though Uganda would be all work and no play...)
July 29: Return to Kampala
July 30: Depart Entebbe
July 31: Return to JFK Airport, New York
(smelly clothes and all)

(Anyone want to join me in NY for a few days on either end of the trip?)

Details

I will be staying in the Invisible Children Volunteer house (or down the road at another dorm) for the duration of my time in Gulu. The house (and dorm) are guarded (no worries mom), and are within walking distance of the schools and the market/town center. Yes, I do need Yellow Fever shots, and yes, I will be taking anti-malarials (yuck). It is confirmed that I will be teaching English/Language Arts, but the school placements are uncertain (and could change up until our arrival). There will be 25 teachers traveling to Uganda in 2 groups for the teacher exchange.

For information on the current state of the peace talks in Uganda, please visit Invisible Children's website and view their "Peace and Conflict Update" section.

I will keep you posted as I begin making arrangements and receive more information from Invisible Children.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember this is a public forum. Your comments will be visible to all readers of this blog.